Thursday, February 24, 2011

Finding my way back Home

bun2
It was the oddest thing. Strangers kept walking past my yard and asking me if my bunny was loose. “Bunny,” I’d reply, “I don’t own a bunny.” And each time, I’d remember back to the days when I was happily owned by a bun. Early one morning I peered out my living room window and there she was hiding between the arbor and the rose bush. The smallest little furry creature with a white tipped nose.
Each morning I’d meet her on the steps of my cottage with a hand full of peanuts, papaya, or carrots.
You see, I know the way into a bunny’s heart…
I learned their secrets long ago…
they, like me, have a terrible sweet tooth!!
bun1
At first she was shy, as all bunnies are, but it wasn’t long before we were the best of friends.
Working in the front yard became a joy again, as I watched her dance across the yard with her little ears flopping to and fro. She was never far from view.
I worried about her little life because of the hawks by day, but failed to remember the big white barn owl that soared by night.
One evening hubby and I went out for a bite to eat and as always she greeted us on the path that leads from our door. When we returned home she was gone.
bun3
The next morning I went out to search for her. I looked beneath the roses, behind the hedge, in the neighbors yard, and every other place where a bun would hide. I never found her.
I couldn’t walk out the door without looking, searching, wondering what had happened to my little furry friend. And each time I felt as if a piece of my heart was breaking all over again.
bun4
The following Sunday hubby and I decided to attend the evening service. After communion they dimmed the lights and our pastor asked us to spend some quiet time with the Lord. Whatever was on our heart…bring it to Him and lay it at His feet.
All I could think of was the little bun that graced my life for such a short time. I wept quietly in my heart and begged Him to help me to stop searching for her every time I went out my door. And in the quiet I heard Him whisper, “Where have you gone, my little lost lamb? I have been searching for you.”
I realized then that I, like Peter, had decided to follow at a safe distance.
Now I’m finding my way back home.

8 comments:

Seawashed said...

Oh Cori you have shared this so well...his tenderheart towards us. Hop back into his arms and let him love on you. ox kerrie

yes the song on my blog was in Ondine. I have had the CD for a few years, it is Lisa Hanigan 'Sea Sew'. I first found her on Damien Rice's 'O' CD.

pam said...

precious....may your abiding grow sweeter and sweeter with Him Cori!

ellen b. said...

So glad you are finding your way back home. I love how great the Father's love is for us...

Just A Girl said...

Hi Ladies and thank you for your encouraging words. It's a difficult place to be...admitting that you're not in the place you should be, but I think it's about time to stop sitting on the floor and dust myself off ;-). You 3 have been such a blessing and an encouragement over the past few years. I cherish each one of you and and honored to call you my friends.

Affectionately, cori

Oh Fairmaiden, thanks for the info on the song. It is one of the most beautiful songs I think I've heard in years. I'll be checking Amazon to see if I can find a copy for myself ;-).

Seawashed said...

They have new fonts available in the advance new template...the one that I have for my post text is called 'Puritan'. Can you see why I picked it? ox

Melissa said...

What a thoughtful and sweet post! Love this! xo

Deanna said...

This brought tears to my eyes sweet Cori.

Deanna

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

Oh my goodness Cori, I think my heart is in my lap......
And I am teary and speechless...

xoxo