Thursday, September 5, 2013

They never did make it to Victoria…

hatley1small

Do you remember the old Diorama at Knott’s Berry Farm? The one where a family is crossing the plains, in a covered wagon, and the little girl says to her mother, “Momma, I’m hungry.” I know Dear, just go to sleep,” her mother replies. Then the narrator in his deep booming voice comes on to say…”They never did make it that night.” Well, that’s how I felt about Victoria…we never did make it to the Inner Harbor, even though we made it to the island.

hatley2small

We had a little bit of a problem with our GPS that kept sending us round and round and round in circles. Our plan was to meet up with some old friends, who had relocated to the island several years before, after we had visited Hatley Castle for my garden fix.
The day was so hot and I had dressed for cooler weather...much cooler. OI was it hot! So hot that we only stayed a very short while at the castle. After a brisk walk through the rose garden I found myself heading back to the parking lot striping off layers of clothing as I went. First the boots next the stockings, then  I dropped my petticoat on the pavement, and if I could’ve  taken off my sweater, I would have, but I didn’t for fear of frightening the Canadian geese.

We stood there by the car waiting in the sweltering heat, until our friends finally arrived.

hatley3small

Did you know Victoria has traffic jams? Neither did we! So, instead of heading into the traffic we went straight to our friend’s house that over looks the sea. Such a beautiful sight to wake up to each and every day.
We had such a delightful time and were taken such good care of that I would have been perfectly happy to spend the rest of my holiday visiting with them, however we had a room waiting for us in Vancouver and a concert to attend. Oh yes, a concert, which was part of the reason we were there in the first place.

hatley5small

You see, when I originally decided to take this little Holiday, I thought it would be fun to plan it around an event. And that event just happened to be a Loreena McKennitt concert that I THOUGHT was on Vancouver Island. But as it turned out it was on the mainland. So at the very last minute all of our arrangements had to be changed.

hatley7

The original plan was to fly into SeaTac Sunday morning, rent a car, hop on the Ferry, and spend four days at a lovely Inn on the island. The concert wasn’t until Tuesday evening so we’d have plenty of time for sight-seeing and visiting with our friends while we were there. In the planning…after I booked our flight and hotel…I decided to print out an itinerary and map out all the locations so we would know distances and how best to spend our time. The concert was to be held in the Queen Victoria Theater that I thought must be located behind the government buildings along the Inner Harbor. As the map route came into view my panic rose as I realized the concert was 3 hours and a ferry ride away from our hotel…Nooooo!

hatley6small

In a panic, I quickly picked up the phone, and started canceling reservations to make new ones closer to the concert hall. What a pickle I found myself in! I certainly wasn’t looking forward to telling the hubby about my huge blunder and how everything had to be cancelled as well as re-arranged.
So our four days on the island turned into one, we added another Ferry ride and booked a hotel on the mainland.

hatley8small

We ended up spending Monday night at our friends house and a quiet Tuesday morning visiting before driving to the ferry terminal and heading to Vancouver.
And so our journey continued…

4 comments:

ellen b. said...

Oh dear. I'm glad you rose to the occasion and re-booked. Looking forward to hearing how everything turned out...

Just A Girl said...

It was a crazy holiday Ellen B! I'm just glad we made it back alive!!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Thank goodness you found out in time before things could not be cancelled without penalties! You got some lovely garden photos nonetheless.

I've noticed it seems like wherever we go (my hubby and I) it seems like a heat wave follows and we end up sweltering when we were hoping to enjoy coolness. Not always but still much too often!

I booked us on what I thought was an 8:45 am flight to Seattle a few months ago and didn't realize until the afternoon before the flight that it was really 8:45 pm . . . and we had to keep it; too late to change without costing a lot. We arrived at our destination an hour north of the airport about midnight!

Just A Girl said...

Hi Sara, hubby and I have the same problem whenever we travel. It seems like the California weather goes with us...yuck!
Booking a flight at the wrong time of day sounds like something I'd do. Now I go back and look at everything very closely and the next time I travel I'm going to map everything out before any reservations are made...lol!
Xoxo, cori