Monday, September 2, 2013

On a Holiday…

ferry1small

August 11, Twenty-thirteen,

hubby and I decided to set out on a long awaited adventure. One that I have been dreaming about for several years. A little Holiday that would allow us to soar high above the clouds, quietly glide through picturesque islands, swathed in mornings misty fog, then safely land on distant shores…hubby’s homeland…Canada! I don’t know why, but this country has stolen a piece of my heart. After years of living in the Big City, I’ve decided I’m not a Big City girl. I much prefer the wild spaces where the mountains reach the sands that tumble into the sea.

anacortes1small

There’s something to be said about the openness of the sea and the calming effect it has on ones soul…at least on mine. These past few years, I’ve felt a certain restless of heart, that seems only to be tamed by the raging sea. I am both at home and at peace, while reminded of the smallness of who I am and the immensity of the God that I love…and Who first loved me.

(Then I turned to see the voice that spoke with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the seven lampstands One like the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the feet and girded about the chest with a golden band.  His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire; His feet were like fine brass, as if refined in a furnace, and His voice as the sound of many waters. He had in His right hand seven stars, out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword, and His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength.  And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, “Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last.  I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen.)

ferry2small

We had been here a few years before and I was captivated by its rugged natural beauty. Something we rarely see in a city made of concrete and steel.

ferry3small

(These images are from our Ferry ride starting in Anacortes, WA and ending in Sydney B.C.)

ferry4small

We sailed into Friday Harbor Monday morning…

IMG_0168

and I was sad to see that this beautiful Victorian had been torn down and replaced with shops. I guess progress continues its march across the landscape, even in town’s that appear not to be touched by time.

ferry6small

We continued on our journey until we came to our destination…Sydney B.C.

ferry5small

along the road we passed many many signs as we drove into Victoria…which we never saw. But that’s a tale for another day.

2 comments:

ellen b. said...

Love these views. Glad you could make this trip.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Looking forward to more . . . there will be more, right?? I do empathize so much with your city versus country sentiments and have experienced the same thing in recent years. And there's no denying the Pacific Northwest is gorgeous.