Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Sweet Sugar Plums

DSC01882

I'm still trying to get my Christmas decorating done, but don't seem to be making much progress. How is yours going?

Yesterday was a day filled with blessed rain. I love the rain! One of the things that I love the most is that in our little hamlet of Alasleim there are many strawberry fields and when it rains the air is filled with their sweet aroma. It's such an amazing thing to open your door in the wee hours of the morning and feel like your swimming in the scent of strawberries. So wonderful!

I mentioned a few posts back that I went out looking for decorating inspiration and came home with so many lovely visions of sugar plums dancing in my head. Does anyone know what a sugar plum really is?

I haven’t got the foggiest!

DSC01874

Any how, while out looking the other day for inspiration, I saw so many lovely Christmas vignettes that were done with everyday antiques… plates…silver spoons… and linens. So I thought it would be fun to use some of mine to decorate with this year.

DSC01891

I have these old rosy bud vases that were given to me when my grandfather passed away many years ago and decided to fill them with those darling lollipops. I wedged them in with some old crocheted doilies I had lying around. Sometimes I'm amazed at all the treasure troves I have tucked into every nook and cranny of this little dwelling. Too many really!

DSC01877

I found these cloches at Big Lots years ago and paid $3.95 per cloche…I bought 4 and two of them are very tall. They’re very bubbly looking which gives them a blurry texture.

lollipop-love-2

It doesn't matter what holiday it is around here...you will always find bunnies. I use this little guy for everything.

lollipop-love-1

Brambleberry Cottage has the darkest little entry I’ve ever seen so I thought it would be fun to bring the light pinks and greens from the kitchen here too. This is one of my favorite pieces of furniture. I know you can only see the top and part of the back, so I'm sure you have no idea what it is. So I'll tell you ;-). It's a lovely wash stand from the Edwardian Era placed in the ugly little entry. I'm hoping to get this area of my cottage redone right after new years so I'll probably show it to you then. It has lovely delicate carving on the front and half columns on each corner (the wash stand, not the entry). It is a beauty.

Well, it's getting late and I'm still not feeling my best so I'm going to prepare my coffee for tomorrow, allow the livestock to roam the grassy area for a few minutes, then get ready for bed. I hope you all have a wonderful peaceful evening!!

11 comments:

Elena_Valeriote said...

Love all the pretty colors in your post! Strawberry rains sounds just lovely... It has rained a bit here- we almost got snow for the first time! It's the perfect weather for decorating. We'll be putting up the tree tomorrow hopefully!

Just A Girl said...

Hi Miss Elana,
Our mountains are covered in snow and look so gorgeous right now. A few years back it snowed in Yorba Linda which is a neighboring area here. It only stayed on the ground for a short time, but sure caused a huge commotion.
I haven't put my tree up either but am hoping to do so this weekend.
I hope you have a lovely day Weence One.

xox Cori

Deborah said...

Silly blogger! I saw the announcement that you posted this, and then it never showed up for me! Oh so pretty, Cori! Swoon-worthy. Your home is like stepping into a kinder, gentler time!!! I could never tire of seeing it, just like Vanessa's little world. Dearie, a sugar plum is the fruit of the Amelanchier canadensis plant, or a candy.

GwendolynKay said...

Your vignette is so lovely! I love all the sparkles about it and the bubble look of your cloche. Blessings today!
Gwen

Just A Girl said...

beloved Blonde One, what is an Amelanchier canadensis plant? Do you know all your plants by their latin names? I can't even remember the English terms. Why I don't believe your blonde at all...but then I guess blondes can have brains too...tee hee!

ellen b. said...

$3.95 for that cloche?! That's a great bargain Cori G! My decorations are just going to be minimal this year. It is what it is :0)
I'm glad you enjoyed the rain...

Beverly said...

Cori, everything is looking so pretty and festive. You always make things beautiful.

It just so happens I do know what sugarplums are. They are made of ground almonds, dried apricots and dried plums - all finely ground. Then spices are added - cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. They are rolled into balls and dusted with sugar. They will last for months in an airtight container. Unless you eat them, that is. ;-)

pam said...

Hi Cori...this year our home is about 1/2 decorated. I'm having way too much fun knitting some felted snowmen and when our girls left after Thanksgiving no other decorating has occurred. Thank goodness their favorite post Thanksgiving tradition is to decorate our house for Christmas. Love all you gentle touches of sugar plums....now I feel the need to find a Big Lots and go in...what treasures I might find.

RYC on my post today. Those snowflakes were almost the size of a pencil eraser...that made it even more amazing. NEVER had I seen perfect snowflakes and those were HUGE.

Rest up..

Just A Girl said...

Hey Beverly, you don't happen to have a recipe do you? They sound like an interesting combination of flavor bursts.
xoxo Cori

Seawashed said...

A little pkg. is in the mail on its way to you! It's supposed to get to you in two or three days. So keep a look out. xo Fairmaiden

Simply Heart And Home said...

Feel better soon, I hope. Your pictures are lovely!

Gina