Monday, May 17, 2010

Destination ~ San Juan Capistrano

capistrano4 

It seems like an eternity since I’ve visited my blog…and many of you. And as time has flown by in my little world so much has happened that I don’t even know where to begin. So maybe I’ll work my way backward and begin there.

A few months ago my SIL moved into our weence cottage and we’ve been having tons of fun since then. Not that we didn’t have fun before, because there is always fun to be had. She’s just added a different kind of fun. Does this sound strange to you? It isn’t really as she’s got a great sense of humor and can find the “funny” in most every situation. Some evenings the three of us sit around singing songs while she and hubby play their guitars.  Me? I don’t play any musical instruments even though I took piano lessons  several times throughout my childhood. But each time my instructors said I was much too fidgety a child and lacked the attention span. One of my instructors even tried bribing me with chocolate bars, but after a while not even chocolate could tempt me to sit still long enough to practice.  So, there you have it! I play no musical instruments, however, I’m thinking about taking up the harp…oh how I love the harp and the gentle music that flows from its strings!!!

And then there are the “other nights” where we sit around and play Farmville for hours and have long conversations about this, that, and nothing at all. Endless jabber is what I call it, but oh what fun to see where it leads and trust me, it always leads somewhere.

capistrano

Last weekend hubby and I met my dad along with his SO in the quaint little town of San Juan Capistrano for lunch at Ruby’s Diner and then a stroll about the gardens of the Mission.

 capistrano3

Have you ever been to the mission? It’s such a serene place to spend the afternoon and the perfect place for me to visit after attending my friend’s memorial service. I hate memorial services! Especially when you walk into a room where you don’t know a single soul or only 1 to 2 of them. These are what make up some of the most uncomfortable moments in life.

capistrano7 

But the gardens filled with trickling fountains of goldfish and water lilies took my mind off the mornings memorial. Missions always have a quieting effect on my soul.

There was this tiny enclosed courtyard that led through the doors of the old stone church or what’s left of its remains.

capistrano9

If you look to the left and see the bells, the enclosed courtyard is on the other side.  capistrano6 Oh Dear! Look! There’s a person on my blog! Aw…it’s just my dad! isn’t he cute? He didn’t know I was taking pictures of him. Don’t tell, but one Christmas a little boy saw him in Target and thought he was Santa Claus…I can’t imagine why, can you?

capistrano8

And just in case you’re wondering…”no,” those are Not his toes…they’re mine ;-). Although I’m sure they bear some resemblance to his, minus the polish, of course. Oh, what was that, “you’ve never seen me wearing jeans before?” Yeah, I know, I’m kinda on a jeans kick, but with the warmer weather approaching I’ll be going back to my linen skirts and ruffled petticoats.

capistrano2

I’m deviating aren’t I? To tell you the truth, I’m not sure where I was going with all this. Oh yes, my life over the past several months. Let’s see…SIL moved in…went on vacation to Arizona…visited some amazing and not so amazing places. Some of those amazing places I need to post pictures from.

capistrano5

It appears I have seasons in my life with different rhythms and different desires and somehow my rhythms have all become catawampus (I like that word). And it appears that I have lost my blogging rhythm all together, but will try most earnestly to get it back…like my roses that have gone wild.

I know I’m making no sense what-so-ever, but thanks for listening anyway.

13 comments:

ellen b. said...

Sense or no...I understand what you are saying...or trying to say. I'm a bit out of my rhythm around here.
Love the photos...just gorgeous. Your dad is a cutie and I do see why he'd be mistaken for Santa!
Blessings...

Diva Kreszl said...

it's great to have you back, love all the photos! That is definitely someplace I would love to visit...I'll put it on my bucket list.

Marilyn said...

I was missing you and am glad to hear from you. I need to get busy and not spend so much time reading. Summer will soon be here (I HOPE!). ♥♫

Lisa said...

Actually sounds as if you are having a wonderful time! I love the pics. Thanks for taking us along!
Hugs, Lisa

Deborah said...

Awe, this was so cute-cute! I mean cute-cute in the way that 4-year-old little Alice used to run up to the jewelry rack in a store, running her fingers through the beads, exclaiming CUTE-CUTE! I like you short attention span! It keeps everything new and exciting. Beeeeeutiful photos, Cori. You really have a good eye. Well, they're probably both good. Now I'm rambling! **kisskiss** Deb

Seawashed said...

Well you are always missed. But we do have seasons, don't we. I've been to that mission and it is gorgeous...one of my favorites..that and Carmel.

And now I even have more of an interest in them...the Lord has lead me to the Catholic church. I was raised in a hippy home, met Jesus my senior year H.S on Catalina Island at a Campus Life camp, have wandered from church to church(nondenominational)for the past 20yrs, and am now attending St. Joseph's. My hubby was raised Catholic, but hopped over to the contempary christian church with me..he has now returned to the Catholic church...in a dream and in prayer the Lord lead me to go...and hubby followed. It is the most peace we have found in the church ever. We are very happy. I admire the quiet, humble lifestyle and reverence for our Lord.

Simply Heart And Home said...

I love visiting the California missions. So full of rich beauty.

Gina

pam said...

Loved seeing the photos...while I love peeking into your world, perhaps it is fine if your rhythm takes you else where...there is life outside of the blogging world..although I find so many fascinating people through blogging. I LOVE peeking into other worlds when I am earth bound to my little world.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hello Cori, it's good to have you back here. You have had a very eventful few months.

I love your dad's shirt!

I've been to the Mission, but only once. Your post has inspired me to revisit one day soon...it's only just a "far piece down the road"...

The archway with the bougainvillea is a lovely photo.

Beverly said...

Cori, I've missed visiting you. And, I found it interesting you referring to the peace this place brings to your soul. Visiting you always brings peace to my soul.

I am very sorry about your friend. In her heart she must have known you loved her.

I hope you can come by this Saturday. We will be celebrating Pink Saturday's 2nd Birthday, and I know you are a pink girl at heart.♥

VS said...

Hope you had a lovely holiday weekend. I ADORE CA missions!!!Your blog is lovely, I look forward to following on your life's adventures!
Smiles Friend,
Susie

vblissart@gmail.com said...

Your beautiful pictures inspire me to paint!! Thank you for sharing!!

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

I love that you love your SIL, and that she moved in and plays the guitar!!

I have been to the mission (blessed beauty!), yes yes! I lived 6 months of my life, every year in CA, from the time I was born until I was 17 or so.

Your photos are amazing, just amazing!!

Much love to you!!