Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Friday morning I made the trip back to Yuma, with two of my cousins, for my brother's memorial. It has been in some ways a long two weeks and in others the shortest two of my life.
His memorial was held Friday night at the church my parents attend and then another at his local AA meeting hall.
One of my aunt's put together a beautiful slide show of his life from beginning to end and the alter was decorated with things that he loved...a Bible, his big book, his purple glasses, and a statue of budha. There was even a Native American drumming ceremony by one of his friends who owns a sweat lodge.
Saturday's memorial was spent listening to all his AA buddies telling Cloyce stories. Everyone that spoke had the same experience...Cloyce found them somewhere strung out on drugs or alcohol and hauled them off to their first AA meeting where they've been ever since. He made it his mission in life no matter where he was.
Saturday afternoon a group of his buddies made the long trek up the side of one of his favorite mountains to scatter 1/2 his ashes. My cousin Shelly took the other 1/2 back to Alaska where he lived for a few years. It was there he was most at peace in the world.
His 44 years of life were filled with so much heartache, misunderstanding, but also a lot of joy.
I pray that his soul is finally at rest.

8 comments:

Gone said...

Cori...we're still praying for all of you left behind...and the heartache.

~Blessings,
Jan

ellen b. said...

Beautiful post Cori...

pam said...

Words of honor and love---good reminder it doesn't really matter how we get there, but the end of the journey. Hard to watch a loved one suffer, can't imagine what that was like for you. Peace in His embrace for all of you.

Tara said...

Cori

Of course he is at peace! What a nice idea to scatter his ashes in two paces that he loved! I am thinking of you at this time...you are right , the longest and shortest 2 weeks, it does feel that way!

One Shabby Old House said...

I wish I was there to give you a big hug and a shoulder as well.
Just know that I think of you often and you are in my prayers.
Hugs
Becky

Brenda Pruitt said...

I just found you. How terribly sad. I am 51, so I realize how much he will miss. I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you did what he wished, and that's all there was left to do, really. I shall come visit you again. It was an unfortunate time to bounce over here from wherever it was, but then that's how strange life is sometimes.
Brenda

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Dear Cori
I think your brother did good on earth and therefore he is enjoying his heavenly rest. Glad you got to say goodbye to him in loving spirit.
Much love, Pat

Robin said...

Hi Cori,

I was hoping to see the comment from Cloyce's friend. Is it with your last entry or the one before. ( I guess I could look, aye?)

Love,

Me