Saturday, November 29, 2008

Note to Self!









Wendie Monrroy on Main



Sweet hubby was enamored with the Spanish Cannons from 1872.













I used to be one of the most organized people I knew, but somewhere in my 46 years of life something changed and I have become the most scatter-brained individual I've ever encountered. Whenever sweet hubby and I would go on a trip I would start packing three days in advance and I always prided myself on the fact that I never had to make a list. As I would think of things we needed I would simply gather them together in the guest room and by the time we were ready to leave everything would be ready. This is no longer the case as evidenced by our little outing yesterday.

For the past several years I've been trying to get my husband to drive out to the Mission Inn in Riverside to enjoy their Christmas "Festival of Lights". Finally, this was the year he agreed to go so off we went to enjoy the sights and sounds of the holiday season. Knowing that we would most likely be there until after dark I asked sweet hubby if he needed to take a jacket..."Nope." I should have known better but then I decided he's a grown man and should know whether he'll need one or not. Me, I decided to take one "just in case". And of course I took my camera so I could record the entire event.

When we finally arrived it was like finding ourselves in an enchanted village with old world charm. All the buildings were decked in holiday splendor from the grounds to the roof tops, across balconies, and spilling into the window boxes of the tiny shoppes. It was truly magical.
We wandered down Main Street meandering through the gift shoppes and Antiques Stores while enjoying a hot cup of coffee to the sound of Christmas music.

Hubby found an old book store while I set my sights on a cute little boutique called "Wendie Monrroy on Main". I don't think I've ever seen a store packed so tightly with Christmas decor... or people. The entire ceiling was covered with hanging ornaments and twinkle lights. Did I take a picture of that? No I didn't! Did I take a lot of pictures...No I didn't. This is where my note to self comes in...I left the house without charging my camera's battery. Year's ago I would never have done such a thing, but now? Oh, and sweet hubby who didn't think he would need a jacket was freezing so we got back in the car and drove around Riverside to look at the old Victorians.

Needless to say we missed the Festival and learned a couple lessons in the process...
1. Never leave the house without a back-up battery and a fully charged one as well and,
2. Always take a jacket whether you think you'll need one or not.
We did have wonderful time though and plan to go back in a few weeks to look at more houses.

6 comments:

Marye said...

When I first saw the images I thought you had gone to Monterey. Marc and I were married there.

I used tobe organized too..maybe we shoudl start a "used to be organized " club
marye
bakingdelights.com

Just A Girl said...

OK Marye,
If you want to organize it I'll definitely join. You can be President and I'll be Vice...wouldn't that be fun!

Cori

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Cori

My camera uses AA batteries and I've learned the hard way to always take extra with me! We've also learned the "take a jacket" rule the hard way too --lol!

This town sounds so enchanting! I hope you do get a chance to go back to take more photos. I loved the architecture too!

Have a blessed Sunday.

Hugs, Pat

pam said...

Wonderful pictures. I so enjoy peeking into your world, the places you visit. The first couple of pictures of that window are wonderful.

Seawashed said...

Enchanting. I love the mission-style of So.Ca. Looks like you had a wonderful time. But why did you miss the festival?

BTW...I too used to be so organized, prepared, planned for things way in advance...but now at 42yr. old I can't remember and have to write everything down...and then, I lose my lists!!! I think it makes it all a bit more exciting though. I think my 'perfect' preparedness drove my family crazy. They like to tease me now that I forget things. It's more fun for everyone. Of course usually someone is freezing because their jacket was forgotten!

Moorea said...

I know what you mean! I used to be able to multitask- Not NOW! I cannot so two things at once to save my life! Oh well! The time you did get in the quaint town sounds wonderful.