Monday, September 29, 2008

Storing up Treasures

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth, nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is there your heart will be also.

Matthew 6:19-21

Well, this is my new treasure. I've had it for one week and two days and in that very short time it's been hit twice. The first time was in a parking lot by a little Asian woman wearing a floppy goofy hat and steering a rogue shopping cart. The second hit which resulted in a lovely ding on the front door was at the hands of an overly excited child who flung her car door open which slammed into mine and rocked my entire car.

Saturday night on our way home from dinner we were almost involved in a head on collision. The light turned yellow and my husband decided to go through. Well, the guy making a left turn also THOUGHT he could make it through the light RIGHT IN FRONT OF US! I sat there in the passenger seat knowing that my beloved new treasure was going to be totaled, but thanks to my husbands quick reactions we slid completely sideways and came to a screeching halt three feet from the other cars passenger window. I found myself staring in the face of a strange woman and then both men took off and sped away as if this was something they did every day.
Let me tell you, I was terrified! My husband (who always wanted to be a race car driver) said, "wow! can you believe how well this little car handles! Did you see how it came to a complete stop? Can you believe those brakes!" I couldn't say a word. In fact I didn't say a word the rest of the night.

I've learned something through this little new treasure of mine. Or maybe I should say I've been reminded. That all these things we treasure and store up are just "things" that one day will be destroyed and whose worth is only temporal. But please, don't take this as an OK for you to ding my brand new door.

8 comments:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about the dings, but more important I'm glad you weren't in an accident!

The new car car is adorable! Is it red or a russet color?

Please drive safely!

Hugs, Pat

PS: That is one of my favorite Bible passages.

Kathy said...

Love your car and the story, Cori. Too bad it got a few little marks but thank God you and your husband weren't hit. Enjoy your new toy - it's darling.
Kathy

pam said...

So glad God kept you safe. Loved your husbands reaction though--that's pretty funny. I would have been like you--wowed for a totally different reason.

One Shabby Old House said...

What a good post! Yes they are all passing things. Every good and perfect gift is from our Father So you are just watchin'out for your daddy's car.lol.
Big hug
Becky

ellen b. said...

Oye! I feel your pain. I'm always calling my husband Parnelli Jones!
I think it's great that your new car (very cute by the way) is rust colored...kind of like the verse
:0)

Beverly said...

Aack! How scary! Men - we just have to love them. ;-)

I like your new treasure. It looks quite spiffy. I will pray for it to experience no more "adventures".

Robin said...

Next time we're up, I will drive...

Just A Girl said...

Thanks Robin,
I think if I would have been behind the wheel I wouldn't be posting right now.
Guess this solidifies your fears of Jimmy's driving, but I have to say that I was a bit impressed by his ability to act or react...ticked off, but impressed!