Friday, June 13, 2008



A few weeks ago my husband and I took a drive to San Pedro to visit the Lighthouse on the tip of the peninsula. Had we the time I would have loved to travel a little further down the road to visit Wayfarers Chapel by the Sea. This was another favorite weekend stop during my childhood.

My father had a paving company and often on the weekends we would get up in the wee hours of the morning and head for P.V. I always loved driving around the bend and searching to see if I could find the chapel nestled on the side of the hill amongst the trees.

As an adult I found out that the architect was none other than Frank Lloyd Wright's son. I do know that F.L.W. was not a lover of God and built all his structures on a horizontal to glorify mans achievements. I don't know about his son but, one cannot enter this little chapel without feeling like you have entered into His sanctuary. In the center of the alter wall is a huge glass circle that perfectly frames a beautiful bent tree.
The chapel has always been one of the most peaceful places in my little world.

If you would like more information on this little architectural gem I've included a web address: http://www.wayfarerschapel.org/your-visit/architecture/
It's worth a visit to just soak in the beauty of the pictures!
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Marye said...

Frank Lloyd Wright is one of my favorite architects and this looks amazing..I did not knot know he had a son that was an architect as well.

Moorea said...

It is so beautiful! Amazing that even though he did not honor God, this little chapel DOES. Imagine that! :o)
What wonderful childhood memories to have. On another note, your yard is beautiful! I have a wisteria too, but it got hit by the heat wave a few weeks ago and in toasted right now.
The birdhouse goes so well with the white picket fence. LoVeLy!!!

ellen b. said...

Beautiful. I'm going to have to put this on my list of things to see...
Have a wonderful weekend.