Friday, August 1, 2008

I'm Embarrassed to say...

Another tag from my sweet friend Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti. I'm to name 5 songs that I'm embarrassed to say I like,which shouldn't be too difficult since I was doomed to have strange tastes in music from an early age.

As far back as I can remember my father was involved in the Theater. He has a voice that makes my heart sprout wings and fly away to a place where dreams are made. When I was in elementary school one of the things I loved most was going to his Tuesday night voice lesson and listening to all the people with velvet voices singing beautiful lyrics. When I became tired I would lean up against the piano and go to sleep until it was time to go home.

In kindergarten my teacher once asked my mother about my strange taste in music. While the other children wanted to sing songs like "itsy bitsy spider" I wanted to sing "Good Morning Starshine" or "To Dream the Impossible Dream." While my mother wasn't paying attention I would sneak the "Hair" album out and listen to it.

By the time I was in Jr. High Eric Clapton had come out with "I shot the sheriff" and I LOVED IT, but did I ever get harassed unmercifully for admitting it. I still love the song...is that embarrassing or what?

In the eighth grade my friend FeFe and I discovered The Ozark Mountain Daredevils...anyone heard of Chicken Train before? Several years ago I went into a music store and there it was...my beloved Chicken Train cassette. I bought it and my husband thought I was nuts! Every now and then I like to torment him and sing it as loud and off key as possible :).

I am embarrassed to say that I still love Queen. Bohemian Rhapsody is my complete total favorite song in life and even though I tossed all my Queen ALBUMS, I sometimes look them up on You Tube just for the fun of it.

When I became a Christian I decided that maybe I should listen to something more edifying so one of my friends introduced me to a young Christian musician who had somewhat controversial lyrics named Steve Taylor. My friend Miss Mammet who is 22 years younger than I is VERY EMBARRASSED for ME because I still listen to him... does that count?

OK, I have one more... it would have to be Rick Springfield. I'm embarrassed for myself that I still love him and I'm still ticked at Demi Moore for treating him like dirt on General Hospital. What was that? 1977? Maybe I should get over that one, do you think? I saw him in concert 16 years ago and he's still got it...whatever it is.

To this day I still love the same music I loved as a child and it's OK if you're embarrassed for me because I've had plenty of time to learn that whatever style music we like it's part of what makes us all so unique.

Now here are the tag rules:


1. Post the link to the person who tagged you and post the rules on your blog.
2. Share 5 songs you are embarrassed to admit to others that you like and tell why.
3. Tag 7 random people at the end of your.


I'm going to bend the rules on # 3 and if you'd like to be tagged let me know and I'll post your blog on mine. This was really a fun one...you don't want to miss out so let me know :).

2 comments:

ellen b. said...

Don't be embarrassed. My daughter was into show tunes when she was little and still likes show tunes. I think it's great to love different styles of music even if they seem nuts to someone else. I say enjoy your music and praise God for giving people the creativity to make music...

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Cori, I loved your list of songs and some are songs or artists that I enjoy too! I don't think any music is really embarrassing just soem is less popular than others. It's sll good! :-)

HUgs, Pat